What is red thread?
Red thread, unlike other lawn diseases, isn’t something that needs a lot of intensive treatment so long as it is treated correctly and before the disease can spread across the lawn. The infected section of lawn will appear weakened and the grass stems will change colours to be more red/pink, however it is not completely fatal to the grass.
Here are some reasons for red thread developing in lawns:
- Lack of nitrogen. Insufficient nitrogen levels in the soil can make the grass weaken and naturally become more vulnerable to disease.
- Poor air circulation. Thatch and overgrown grass can trap moisture and prevent proper air circulation, promoting the development of disease.
- Summer months. Red thread thrives in heat and humidity.
- Excessive moisture. Overwatering will keep the grass blades wet for an extended period of time which invites red thread to develop.
- Gardening equipment and processes. Red thread can spread through contaminated tools and clippings of grass that carry the disease.
How can I spot red thread?
Red thread normally forms in the summer months, and here is what to look out for:
- Thread-like strands appearing in your grass.
- Web areas in the colour range of coral pink to blood-red on grass tips.
- Strands that protrude up to 2cm from the blade tips.
- Patches of uneven grass colour.
If you notice one or more of these signs, it is worth treating the issue to prevent any spread.
How we will treat red thread
We will use professional fungicide disease control treatment; this controls both the fungi and its spores, so it will help prevent spreading and will eradicate the disease for up to six weeks.
The product we use is not available to the general public, and must be administered by a professional. That’s why it’s best to leave disease control to the experts, for a safe and thorough job.
Noticed any signs of red thread on your lawn? We can help.
We are the UK's No1 most trusted
Excellent 4.7 / 5 based on 4,774 reviews
I would highly recommend Greensleeves
I would highly recommend Greensleeves who restored our baron-looking lawn which had been eaten away by chauffer grubs to a lush green fantastic lawn in a matter of months and we now have them every few months to keep our lawn looking lush and beautiful by treating it. Also lovely pleasant and helpful staff. Thank you Greensleeves.
Greensleeves have done a fabulous job…
Greensleeves have done a fabulous job on the lawn in our new house – turning it from a weed-infected patch of green to a true grass lawn. All in the space of a few months during initially very challenging weather conditions. Very happy with the progress that has been made – thank you.
Good service and good people!
I have been using Greensleeves for a few years now and I am pleased with both their products and service and they definitely know what they are talking about. They come on the day they say they will come, they execute their work quickly and efficiently and above all our lawn has really benefitted from their service.
We have only just started using Greensleeves but our impression of the company so far is very good. All contact with them has been dealt with promptly and professionally. The first lawn treatment was carried out as arranged today and my husband had a couple of queries regarding the lawn and these were answered in a friendly and informative manner.
This Company do a great job of keeping my lawn in tip-top condition. They are very knowledgeable and I feel very reasonable for a job that definitely requires a level of expertise. I initially tried treating my lawn myself but got nowhere near the results of Greensleeves. Would highly recommend.